Stabilized Soil Road and pathway designs with AggreBind
There are so many varied uses for stabilized soil road and pathways using AggreBind soil stabilization applications that we compiled some road and pathway design guidelines.
A thorough investigation of the proposed soil stabilized road/pathway area must include: a soil sieve analysis: climate: topography: seismic activity: below ground services: ingress of tree roots: availability of water.
Basic soil stabilized road design requirement: 35% fines passing through a 200 sieve and 65% granular material where no stone is larger than 20% of the layer depth being stabilized.
The maximum single load that the stabilized road will be subjected to must also be established.
Subject to the initial report being satisfactory the following layer depths would be recommended for an AggreBind stabilized road.
150mm deep for loads up to 40 tonnes
200mm deep for loads up to 80 tonnes
250mm deep for loads up to 80 tonnes
Equipment specification would include: Crusher/Ripper: Spray tanker: Grader: Smooth drum vibration compactor.
The soil stabilized road surface can be sealed with AggreBind soil stabilizer or any other standard road surface can be installed.
Example of Soil Stabilized Road Test
Material: Dry Sand and 5 to 10mm gravel.
Soil Stabilizing Dosage rate: 0.6ltrs AGB plus 4.8 ltrs water per sq mtr.
TOTAL LIQUID: 36 LTRS PER CUB MTR.
Topseal: 0.25 ltrs AGB plus 0.75 ltrs water per sq mtr.
Estabilizador de solo AggreBind - Projeto de habitação para instalação de estradas - Meerut Índia
Teste de Frenagem em Superfície de Solo Estabilizado: Um veículo viajando a uma velocidade de 40 km por hora fez uma parada de emergência na área tratada. Houve excelente aderência à superfície, com praticamente nenhum deslocamento da camada de estrada estabilizada com AggreBind.
How AggreBind soil stabilizer is applied:
- Existing rutted soil road; and
- Newly constructed road. The process of working of both (a) and (b) are:
- The surface of the road is to be ripped to required depth with excavator or tractor with disc harrow;
- Spray the mixture of Aggrebind and water solution on the surface of the ripped soil road;
- After the CSAP and water solution have been sprayed on the ripped soil road, immediately mix the solution in the ripped soil thoroughly by using the tractor with disc harrow;
- To correct the road profile grade it with a grader;
- The road must be compacted using a vibrator compaction single drum smooth roller or similar equipment;
- The surface of the road must be sealed with a top-seal spraying of Aggrebind and water solution;
- The road is rolled again without vibration, single drum smooth roller or similar; and
- The road is now completed. It is sealed and water resistant. Typically the road can be used within two hours of completion.
Soil Stabilization Base Layers for Major Roads and Highways
Stabilizing of base layers for Major Roads and Highways
- Significantly improves the bearing capabilities of all on-site sub-soils and sands.
- Significantly reduces the cost of major road construction.
- Reduces the need to import additional materials to site.
- Reduces the contract timeframe.
- Bonds to any applied wearing surface.
- Provides opportunities to reduce the depth of wearing surfaces.
- Significantly reduces road construction’s carbon footprint and environmental damage.
OUTLINE OF SOIL STABILIZATION PROCEDURES:
- Obtain a full soil analysis on the material to be stabilized.
- Use standard engineering criteria to determine the maximum compressive and tensile strength required to carry the maximum load that the road will be subjected to.
- AggreBind will improve the load bearing capability of on-site soils by a factor of 4 to 6 times.
- Use standard design criteria for drainage, local topography, and climate.
- AggreBind is mixed with any type of water (even sea water), prior to application and can be installed using standard road construction equipment.
Evaluation of all cost factors indicate that AggreBind can reduce the cost of highway construction by 30-40%.
Recommendations for preparation of uneven Sub-base layers for soil stabilization.
Wherever possible roads should be graded to divert water to the sides of the road.
In high rainfall areas channels should be made to take surplus water away from the road to prevent the water traversing across the road.
It is important to provide adequate drainage on roads with steep gradients.
Aruba Road with Caliche base Soil Stabilization
- Profile and compact Caliche base.
- Ensure sides of road are cleared of all debris.
- Ensure that necessary drainage for rain-water run-off has been addressed.
- Bring in 0.15cm of material, ideally 35% fines and no rocks or stones exceeding 20% of the added0.15cm depth.
- Calculate the required OMC.
- Compute AGB:H2O to ensure that 4ltr of AGB per m3.
- Dispense AGB&H2O based on required flow-rate per m2. See Field Worksheet,
- Mix into the 0.15cm of material and keep mixing until thoroughly and completely mixed. You cannot over mix. More is better!
- Profile and compact. Continue compacting up to the point of seeing splits from over-compacting and then run the compactor as a dead-weight roller.
- Apply topseal at 0.25ltr of AGB with 0.75ltr of water per m2.
- Do not compact after the topseal is applied.
- You may open the road in 2 hours.
Protocol for below ground protection of services with AggreBind
- Excavate the soil from the service channel, and retain this for re-use.
- Remove and large stones and roots
- Compact the exposed surfaces.
- Seal the surfaces with a mixture of 1 part AGB mixed with 3 parts water
- Insert the service cables or pipes
- Add a mixture of 1 part AGB mixed with 6 parts water to the removed soil and mix thoroughly.
- Place the treated soil back into the service channel and hand compact.
- Seal the surface with a mixture of 1 part AGB mixed with 3 parts water. If required a colour can be added to the surface seal to clearly indicate the location of the service channel.
Alternate method for drainage ditches stabilized soil using AggreBind Soil stabilizer
Solid steel bars are laid into the shoulder of the road
Bars are compacted to level with the road.
The indentation of the compacted bars creates a drainage ditch when removed.
Use long bars for straight sections and shorter bars for making curves.
Seal the stabilized soil road surface and drainage ditch with Aggrebind:H2O solution.